Friday 2 July 2010

Navigating ups & downs...

Blog from 30th April 2010:
April has been a mixed month in the challenge to run 10k everyday:
I reached 100 consecutive days and the weather changed to bring new troubles.

Saturday 10th April marked 1000 km for the first time I stepped out to run really feeling the sense of achievement.

From a personal point of view completing 100 consecutive days running was a major highlight and felt like the closing of a chapter on a few things like the hip injury I'd gained (unable to keep off my feet due the challenge had finally healed after 56 days); the barrage of cold, windy and rainy weather finally lifted and I am no longer running in the dark at 6pm. The most prominent aspect is the perception that had drifted into the challenge that this was a "new years resolution" or that it was a fad and not last the spring. After a number a slips and falls, coughs and sneezes, injuries and sickness I reached 100 days with everything resetting itself - fresh to start the next 100 days; only this time it was evident this challenge was for real.

Though its becoming a 'challenge' squeezing everything in. Its dawned me that I had drifted into a habit of doing most of my runs in the evenings. My wife working evenings, kids needing bathing and putting to bed, supper to be enjoyed and at some point run 10k!

The sunsets are a plus obviously with spring and the good weather however, there has suddenly been a really frustrating problem to resolve ... bugs ... and clouds of them.
They generally congregate at shoulder height, after a few km's I'm usually sweaty so they stick and then wriggle everywhere in my face and hair but the real problem is inhaling them; I need protein but yuk!

Maybe its the rushing about routine that is getting me frustrated about this problem, either way the goal when its hot has to be to get out in the morning - not an easy task as I am not an easy riser; so the gym with air-conditioning is top of the list.

The weather change has brought fantastic sunsets as well as given rise to me wearing shorts. The scene set, I've been thinking how fortunate I am to be doing the challenge as without the support from my wife, friends and neighboughs with our kids there would be no time for it. The unsung hero for me therefore is Penny, my wife, who puts up with me and helps me get ready or to plan runs around our work or kids social repertoire. The challenge doesn't stop with running as our time is also eaten away with the blogging and other media platforms or communications.

Thankfully I've had a few weeks that have been straight forward, a rarity, and its given me the chance to think of and thank those who make this challenge a reality - Thank You.

Please take the time to share the 10k-everyday idea and encouraging others to get involved - it's as good as donating. If you're on Face Book simply type “10k everyday” in the search bar.

You can find micro blogging of this challenge at:
www.facebook.com/tbridle, www.linkedin.com/in/tbridle & www.twitter.com/timbridle

Send a friend request with 10k-everyday in it and I'll accept. Be well, Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment