Wednesday 26 May 2010

Whatever it takes...

Blog from 20 March 2010

I've made 80 consecutive runs in my challenge to run 10k everyday, focusing on the activity & generally considering the weather to be the worst external factor to contend with. After a recent bout of 'food poisoning' last week I was brought to a swift reality that it wouldn't take much to halt this challenge.

I'd identified & devised answers to almost every problem except what would happen when I got sick.

Seeing winter finish brought clear blue skys and superb sunsets, the external conditions had become great with the contrast of me facing internal troubles. Sudden tiredness & fatigue, as well as craving for sleep had meant I neglected my diet.
I knew this as I had been monitoring my aches, pains and weight regularly to spot any additional dietary requirements.
In this case, I've not maintained a balanced diet or eaten enough calories to repair & of nutritional fuel value. Having lost lb/day for 4 days meant I needed to eat loads of protein, which I did & bounced back straight away –aches gone, I felt brilliant and energised.

It would seem however that fate had a sense of irony as a few days after my protein over load I developed 'food poisoning.' I'm sure many have experienced it, for me I was left exhausted, dehydrated and weak. The question to "how would I cope when I got sick" was getting answered.

Once over the initial sickness, my recovery was time dependent. On Facebook, through the following morning a number of people said I shouldn't do it & most thought the answer for the challenge would be to add a day on at the end of the year to compensate. I understood what was being said but I thought it wasn't in the essence of the challenge. When I had mustered enough energy at 520pm, I set out on a public route to complete 10km what ever it took.

Starting as a brisk walk I covered the 3km without incident averaging 9:30mins/ km by the Garmin watch. However from then on in, my strength dropped rapidly & at 6km I'd averaged 11mins/km with every step hurting. I'd had been listening hard to the music on my MP3 player, having turned the volume up to distract & focus me on something other than the pain of moving. I was nearing home & I could barely hear the music as I couldn't escape how much I hurt, I grouped myself together to complete the last 500m positively - which was a reaction to stopping with tears running down my face at 9.2km; I finished in 1hr 56mins.

Feeling brittle the next day & like getting back on a bike after a heavy fall, I stepped out apprehensive & uncomfortable after the ordeal the day before.
I kept to the challenge through the hardest test so far, leaving me cautious in regards to my health.

Please take the time to share the 10k-everyday idea and encouraging others to get involved - it's as good as donating. If you're on Face Book simply type “10k everyday” in the search bar.

You can find micro blogging of this challenge at:
www.facebook.com/tbridle, www.linkedin.com/in/tbridle & www.twitter.com/timbridle

Send a friend request with 10k-everyday in it and I'll accept. Be well, Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment