Sunday 29 November 2009

The Pillow Talk...


Since coming up with the idea to Run 10k everyday for 2010 both our minds hadn't been far from the challenge. This morning, Sunday 29th November 2009, Penny & I lay in bed listening to the girls play in their bedrooms whilst we talked about the problems I would likely be facing over the challenge.


Sickness – has anyone remained healthy for 365 days? So what was going to happen when I was sick? My answer was simply find a way of getting round to do 10k a day and Penny added, that it could make me worse. The point is we need to find away around the problem, the goal is making it happen how we do it despite the problems is what makes the challenge and makes the journey.

Injuries – exercise every now and again is difference to 10k everyday for 365 days. I'd need to ensure my trainers where good, replaced often to reduce the pounding on my knees; I'd also be facing shin-splints if the footwear wasn't good. There's the possibility I could get cramp or break a leg, however I've only ever broken little bones & have a good stretching and cool down routine; it rare for me to get cramp, but it could still happen.

Mentally – planning & doing a 10k run in most cases is mentally tearing, doing one everyday even on holiday will be draining. What am I going to do to keep my mind focused? [a] We agreed music was a good option but I'd need to change the tracks reasonably regularly – thankfully Penny is a music whiz and she agreed to look after this and update the MP3; although we'd need to get another and rotate them. [b] With that said there are going to be other times during the year when I'm not going to want to do this; choose what's easy, lose focus and doubt myself. At these times the support behind me, people following or interested are going to help in two ways – [1] for those that believe in me and want me to do the challenge & [2] those that are looking for me to fail who want to say “Told you he couldn't do it.” Therefore if we can built up a support following, they'll be a great help for me in the hardest of times sure to be ahead.

Readiness – in many cases people build up to marathons & 10k runs, I'd be going at it from an average fitness – although I've been doing 4 & 6k runs once or twice a week since May 2009 when I was last made redundant. I think I'm going to start the first 8 weeks with 6k in morning & 4k at night, or the other way round, maybe 5 +5k or 8+2k. The point is getting the routine of running everyday first, then focus on achieving the 10k single runs everyday.

We believe we brought out all the potential problems to the challenge, which allows us to prepare and plan to get round them – if you can think of any others, I'd like know.
Personally, I'm thinking that peoples support and following the challenge is going to be the hardest – it'll need constant work because I know at the hardest of times in this challenge, its this the support that's going help me get through.

Have a good day and be well, Tim

Also follow @ www.facebook.com/tbridle
www.linkedin.com/in/tbridle

No comments:

Post a Comment